Saturday, October 10, 2009

I never thought I would say it, but...

...I'm voluntarily watching football. Yep, football; that sport that I bitched about all last season, dreaded Sundays for and could never understand everyone else's excitement for.

And, I finally figured out why I hated it so much last season, but don't mind it now: I no longer associate football with my ex. Sundays were usually his only day off and regardless of my feelings (or opinion), he would drag me off to wherever the game was playing, so I could watch him drink beer and shout at the TV; not exactly my cup of tea. Plus, I've never done well with being forced to do anything. It makes me bitter, mad and usually a bit vindictive...I know, lovely qualities, right?

Well, after stumbling across a game on TV a few weeks ago and finding myself getting into it, I put my Psych degree to good use and realized that I didn't actually hate football, I'd hated the Sunday coercion, the loss of a possibly productive day and the "but I thought you wanted to spend time with me" whining. The sport is actually entertaining and easy to get into; it had just fallen victim to my misplaced bitterness.

So, I am happy to announce that I am a football-convert (for now) and enjoying this new side of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!