Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Let's talk movies, shall we?

For the past 2 weekends, I feel like all I've been doing is going from theater to theater, consuming mass quantities of popcorn and being swept away by new sceneries and time periods. I really do love going to movies; in fact, it may even be one of my favorite things to do.

I saw Dear John on Friday night with my mom, my friend Chelsae and her mom. Despite being surrounded by giggling teeny-boppers and the occasional dragged-along boyfriend, it was a great outing! Having given up on Nicholas Sparks' sad endings to his books, I haven't read Dear John but I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything. Now, thanks to chatting with Ashley yesterday, I do know that there were a few differences, including the ending, but it seems that readers and non-readers alike have enjoyed this film adaptation. Plus, Channing Tatum is pretty easy on the eyes...and their first kiss gave new meaning to kissing in the rain!

Also with Chels and her mom, I saw When in Rome. This was funny and predictable and made me want to visit Rome. I wouldn't say this is one of my favorite movies, but it was far more fun to see this than to do homework, which had been my original plan. I did like the scenes that were filmed in The Guggenheim; the spiral walkway just begs to be used as a movie backdrop!


In the comfort of my own home, while drinking hot coffee and snuggling under my giant green blanket, I finally watched Audrey Hepburn in Paris When it Sizzles. I love Audrey Hepburn, and have seen just about every one of her movies, but somehow I managed to never sit down and watch this one. Well, I loved it! William Holden plays screenwriter Richard Benson who has put off writing the already paid for screenplay, The Girl Who Stole the Eiffel Tower. With only 2 days left to write the entire script, he hires typist Gabrielle Simpson (Hepburn) to help him meet his deadline. While coming up with off-the-wall scenarios (which get acted out to the delight of the audience), Gabrielle and Richard find themselves falling in love against the backdrop of Paris' most famous sites.

And, to top off my movie adventures, I saw 2 of the most beautiful period pieces to date: Bright Star and The Young Victoria. I blogged all about my desire to see Bright Star here and it truly lived up to my expectations. It was beautifully tragic and incorporated many of my favorite Keats poems. The scenery was lovely, the clothing made me want to travel back in time and the love story tugged on my heart strings. Watch this one with a few tissues within reach!

As with Bright Star, The Young Victoria was wonderful. I'm a nerdy history buff who delights in reading all about European royal families, so this was right up my alley. Queen Victoria is the longest ruling English monarch to date and, unlike other royals at the time, she and Albert married for love and remained true to each other for the rest of their lives. I loved how this movie focused on how Victoria came to be the ruler she was: lessons learned, family interactions and deceit and the young queen's desire to do right by her people. And, underlying all of this was her relationship with Albert and his many positive influences. At the end I sighed, dabbed away a few tears and wanted to sit through it all again. If for no other reason, see this movie for the costumes!

5 comments:

  1. Great Reviews! I have only seen Dear John out of that list, so I will add to my list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So looking forward to seeing Dear John!! Once I get better I will be going to see it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to see Dear John, but am I going to cry? I'm sick of crying in movies haha.

    I'm seeing When In Rome this weekend!

    See you tomorrow for WITWW?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daaaang, you get around! ;) I think we're seeing a movie this weekend! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the thourough blogging about all those movies. I never wanted to see When in Rome :/ just hasn't tugged at me all that much. And Dear John..idk.. we'll just skip over that one.
    HOWEVER :) I'm a period piece FANATIC!!! And I want to see The Young Victoria so BADLY! I just have no one to go see it with me :( And I've never heard of Bright Star - is it new? In theatres? Out on DVD? :) I must watch it! BOTH! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!