Thursday, April 22, 2010

On contentment

(via)

I love days when I feel content. It doesn't happen every day and sometimes I can go weeks without feeling truly content, but when one of those days does roll around, I savor it.

Today is one of those days.

It just started pouring outside and the sound of the raindrops hitting my window makes me smile ever so slightly. I'd much rather be curled up on my couch at home, book in hand, teapot on the table with my patio door open so I can hear the rain, but I'm content nonetheless. I have The Last of the Mohicans soundtrack playing on my computer and a window to watch the rain out of.

I'm in a quiet mood today and I think it fits the weather perfectly. I feel calm and happy and am loving just rolling with this. Work is also quiet today and I like not being disturbed and not having to rush around with anything. I did enough work rushing the past couple of weeks and I'm perfectly content to have a few slow days or weeks. Before I know it, summer will be here, wildland fires will be burning across the country and I will have an ever-growing stack of invoices on my desk. Perhaps this is the calm before the storm.

I love feeling like I am where I am supposed to be in life. I often battle with myself as to whether or not my decision to stay in Colorado after graduation was a choice made correctly or simply out of fear of the unknown. I love the East Coast and I love to travel, but I truly, truly love where I live. I love my town, my apartment, my job and being close to my family. Perhaps I'm too close with my parents and should strike out a bit more on my own, but I'd rather be too close with my parents than estranged. And, I take comfort in the fact that I haven't lived at home since I was 18, I support myself (for the most part) and the relationship that I have with my parents is as much a friendship as it is parent-child.

I think the only thing missing from today are my besties. Jamie seems very far away in Australia and we've both been a little nostalgic, which never fails to make me weepy. But, I know she's so happy where she is that I cannot find fault in it at all. And, of course, I miss Corey. I got to see her fiance this past weekend, which was fabulous (because I love Matt!), but I wish Corey could've been in town, too; there's no true replacement for a best girlfriend. Luckily, she'll be in Colorado in 2 weeks and then I'll be spending my Memorial Day weekend out in Baltimore with her...May will be full of some much-needed bestie time! I always miss these two amazing ladies, but there is so much love, understanding, knowledge and strength in my friendships with both of them that I can always find peace.

Today is shaping up to be one of those days that I wouldn't trade for anything.

7 comments:

  1. Love days like this! Beautiful photo

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a beautiful post!
    My relationship with my parents is much like yours. You really do like the rain! :)
    I only like rain on days when I am lazy and just want to lounge around all day- if it is raining, I don't feel guilty being a slacker! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is such a great post. nothing is as great as the feeling of contentment... i long for that feeling to last more than for just fleeting moments...

    ReplyDelete
  4. THIS just made me feel happier than I was already feeling! I love the sound of rain too. And there's nothing better to go with that than a good book that's read while curled up on a couch and hot tea/coffee... I like you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love being happy alone with your own thoughts :) It's peaceful when you agree with yourself instead of a million things racing inside your head!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!