Thursday, July 14, 2011

A break from life to celebrate a birthday (and to eat sushi)

Work has been crazy. It's been frustrating. I've been on the edge of tears after finishing for the day a few too many times. I tend to turn into the ultimate hermit when my stress levels peak. I revert to my tried and true inner introvert, finding solace in my thoughts and the scenery on long walks, embracing the calm found in books, cups of tea and the occassional glass of wine. I don't have the urge to go out and surround myself with people. It can be too overwhelming for me.

But, there are those times when I pull myself out of my hermit-like ways and join the world again, despite my stress, or exhaustion or raging hormones. It's good for me, and you know what? I rarely regret my decision. That's what I have to remind myself: I love my friends and the energy we give off simply from being around each other. We understand the stressors in each of our lives and strive to push it away with laughter and good food...and we usually succeed.

My friend Lisa's birthday was on Tuesday, and even though I was *this* close to losing it over continued work problems and general discontent over still not feeling 100% after last week's cold, I made the time to join in for her sushi dinner at one of our favorite spots in town. I'm so glad that I did. We sat outside, people-watched, made friends with a spunky boxer puppy, enjoyed a glass of wine, ate copious amounts of sushi and I tried saki and mochi for the first time. It was the perfect interlude to celebrate my lovely friend, and to remind myself that I never want to let life pass me by.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so with you on being even MORE introverted when work gets overwhelming. At the end of the day, I just don't want to be around people when I've been stressed at work.
    I hope things are getting better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum... nothing like a sushi night to relieve some stress!
    Hope you are having a fabulous day!

    http://enchantedwife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!