Thursday, July 29, 2010

Nepotism at its finest

I just heard a co-worker complain about not getting off on a ticket he received yesterday. Apparently, he never actually receives tickets, despite being pulled over, because his cousin is on the Police Force. Wow, really? And, to top it off, he called his cousin to tell him what had happend and his cousin was shocked that he didn't get off! What does this say about my city's fine Police Department? Well, to me it says they create their own rules despite what law dictates, and they hand pick their own players as well. Now, I have my own issues with my town's police department and some bias, but this may be the worst I've heard in a while.

Nepotism is a common thing and I think we've all played with it at some point in our lives, but if you break the law and get caught doing so, I don't care who you are or who you're related to, take the ticket, pay the fine, increase our city's revenue (aka, help us all out by doing what you should) and decide on your own whether or not you've learned something from that incident. And if you're used to getting off on tickets, maybe actually having to pay one or two would be a good thing for you and your (most likely) over-sized ego. Because guess what? you're still a civilian member of society and regardless of what you think your entitlement level is, you are not above the law.

Kudoes to the cop who not-so-subtley reminded my co-worker of this!

3 comments:

  1. i know exactly how you feel. my friend's husband is a fire fighter, and somehow that makes her eligible to never get tickets, either. ugh.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!